Two Ingredients Cleanse Your Mattress From Dust Mites
When you clean your house, you go through each room and clean to your satisfaction —but how often do you deep clean your mattress so even the dust mites are gone?
Most people spend around eight hours every night on their mattress and are completely unaware that they could be sharing their bed with millions of dust mites.
Dust mites are tiny bugs that are so small they can only be seen with a microscope. They stay alive by eating human skin flakes and thrive in a warm and humid environment. Ideal environments for dust mites usually include mattresses, pillows, carpets, upholstered furniture, and fabric-covered items.
Dust mites can cause an allergic reaction in some individuals similar to Hay Fever and Asthma. Essential oils have been integral in clearing them from bedding! Click To Tweet
…making it difficult to breathe, or can even cause sneezing or a runny nose.
A simple way to rid dust mites is to clean your mattress, carpet, and upholstered furniture using just baking soda and essential oils.
According to this study, dust mites can be killed by using peppermint, eucalyptus or wintergreen essential oil. When combined with baking soda, which absorbs moisture, deodorizes and sanitizes, putting this duo together can be an extremely effective, natural, and non-toxic household cleaner.
What You Need:
- 1 cup baking soda (this is enough for a queen size mattress)
- 10 drops dōTERRA essential oil (see below)
- Mason jar with lid
How to Clean Your Mattress:
- Remove bed linens and wash them in hot water. It’s a really good thing to put your sheets through a hot water machine wash once a week to keep the fecal matter and their culprit (dust mites) off your bedding. This doesn’t stop them from getting into your mattress though. So this only solves half of the problem.
- To cleanse your mattress of dust mites, apply the ingredients stated above with one or more of the essential oils listed below.
- Put the baking soda mixture into the sifter and sift across your mattress. (You may need to double your baking soda mixture depending on the size of your mattress).
- Leave the mixture on your mattress for at least an hour. The longer you leave it, the better the results. This is something that you can do whether you have access to hot solutions or not.
- Once the mixture has been on the mattress for at least an hour, use your vacuum hose to remove the mixture from the mattress.
- Make your bed with clean sheets and enjoy the fresh smell of your mattress. Repeat every 2-3 months, or as often as needed.
To deep clean, your carpet or upholstered furniture, mix together the baking soda and essential oils and sift onto whatever area you are cleaning. Let it sit for at least one hour and then vacuum. It’s easy—and effective! This works really well when you use a product that reaches temperatures above 140F (60C). That’s really all there is to cleanse your mattress, rug, linens, etcetera.
The part that most will drop this is in taking action. Usually, it’s the part about not having the essential oils available. Don’t run to the store to get them though. You’re better off getting pure essential oils.
To order your essential oils, visit DōTerra’s website
There are also some other great ideas to minimize your exposure to those vermin we call dust mites.
Here’s a few of them that I put together in a short graphic.